Superheated water makes microwaved eggs explode when you dig in

Spread the love
Yokes on you

Yokes on you

Maarten Wouters/Getty

Your breakfast plate might be more dangerous than you thought. A hard-boiled egg that’s reheated in the microwave could explode when you bite into it or prick it with your fork, and a new study shows that this may happen up to a third of the time.

Anthony Nash, a consultant at Charles M. Salter Associates, was hired as an expert witness for a court case after a restaurant patron allegedly burned his face and suffered hearing damage when a hard-boiled egg exploded in his mouth.

The case was settled out of court, but not fast enough to prevent Nash and his colleague Lauren von Blohn from reheating almost 100 boiled eggs in a microwave to figure out how they explode and whether enough noise is generated to harm a diner’s ears. They presented their results this week at a meeting of the

Powered by WPeMatico

      Subscribe For Up To Date News

      Get updates sent directly to your email

      This information will never be shared to a third part